Monday, August 24, 2009

ABOUT ME

I have come from earning my B.S. in Motion Pictures and International Relations at University of Miami, to a Project Manager on the Ad Solutions Team at Fox Digital Media. I’ve worn many hats in between and gained a great survival kit of skills during my 8 years working in the entertainment industry.

I am a dedicated worker and an inspiring leader. At a previous post at a talent agency, I was promoted to Head of the Production and Development Department. This position taught me to handle a lot of responsibility, such as meeting tight deadlines, setting a professional example, staying within budget, and navigating in a place where minimal mistakes were allowed. I surpassed my learning curve as well as my employer’s expectations. I even took on extra work as a talent scout and exceeded the numbers of the other recruiters in my first month. This is just one story of my many promotions and roles as a leader.

I have had many instances in my career where I was offered a job that I wasn't fully qualified for, but my intending employer trusted my skills and qualities enough that they took the risk. Everytime I have either met or exceed their expectations. For example, an attorney found me through a referral and offered me the position as paralegal immediately after the interview even though I told him up front that I had minimal legal experience. He told me he went with his gut feeling because he saw I had other skills to compensate for my lack of legal expertise. My fast ability and passion to learn as well as my attention to details, ability to manage projects on deadlines and follow through and not be afraid to ask questions to get the job done got me through and in 3 months had 60 cases approved. It wasn't easy and took a lot of hard work and overtime, but I can safely say that I earned my title in record time and brought the business back onto it's feet. This is one example of how many of my past employers took a risk because I did not have the expertise, but had the skills to get myself there fast. Consequently, I reliably brought them a return on their investment and made them look good for it.

As an example of my motivation and passion, and as a personal challenge, I took on the daunting task of viewing all 100 of AFI’s top listed movies to figure out what made them the top movies. Working in any part of the film industry, I feel it is important to know what makes a good film, not just what teachers teach you and books say, but what sells. I am proud to say I finished in under a year and now feel better prepared to put something out there that sells.

I have traveled extensively to broaden my cultural understanding. I studied in intensive film programs in Los Angeles and Prague, making valuable contacts and gaining insight into filming techniques while filming projects. In Mexico, Chile, Panama, and Argentina, I was humbled by their poverty and vast cultural and lifestyle differences. In Germany, Austria, England, France, China and Japan I was fascinated by the differences in European and Asian cultures. Traveling on my own has not only made me independent and confident, but also extremely knowledgeable about many parts of the world and numerous societies. My first-hand experience has helped me learn how to interact with many different kinds of people, which I believe gives me an edge in an industry that is integrating globally. For example, when it comes to business, I know how to relate with an Argentinean differently than a Mexican and a Chinese man than a Japanese man.

My goals for the future are to continue to achieve operational objectives by contributing information and creative recommendations to strategic plans and reviews; to continue to accept ownership for accomplishing new and different requests that go above and behind the original expectation; and to continue to grow as team player and leader. My hopes are that this will lead me into a leadership role where I can focus on business and team development, and become a public facing representative for my company. On a broader scale, I hope to become a recognized industry expert where I can share information and critiques such as that from "The Bennett Scoop" with industry colleagues.

No comments:

Post a Comment